Netgear manufactures some of the best networking equipment, designed to provide optimal connectivity along with a number of advanced features. Speaking of which, for the best of connectivity experience, most of the professional users employ Netgear routers driven by the latest wireless communications technology. It may not be out of place here to talk about the latest Wi-Fi technology and some of its key features as well. Currently, Wi-Fi devices utilize 802.11n network specifications, ratified by IEEE as the state-of-the-art industry standard for Wi-Fi WLAN communications. 802.11n adopts MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) methodologies to coordinate multiple radio signals simultaneously. It also utilizes wider channel bandwidth to improve connectivity.
Here we would discuss one of the most advanced routers developed by Netgear to date, N300 wireless router, powered by 802.11n Wi-Fi technology discussed above.
- It has an 802.11n access point which allows for connection speeds of 300 megabits/second (Mbps) and which can be connected through a cable or ADSL2+ connection wirelessly.
- There is also a 4-port Ethernet switch for connectivity.
- It does not come with a built-in mode, and user would need to attach a modem to its WAN port.
Design & Exterior:
- It looks rather sleek with a glossy surface and no antennas on the outside to give it a sophisticated appeal.
- It’s designed to sit vertically on the desk and cannot be wall-mounted.
- There is a push button for Wi-Fi enabled setup on front panel of the router along with 4 ethernet ports, one WAN port and an on/off button located on back of the device.
- Light indicators are too bright which can sometimes merge with adjacent lights.
Installation and User Interface:
- Netgear N300 wireless router comes with an installation CD to simplify the installation process. It would also guide you through setting up the physical connections and choosing appropriate networking and internet settings.
- One can also make use of web interface of the router to specify settings.
- The router will automatically look for firmware updates once you are connected to the internet.
- User interface design is standard and easy to use with complete set of options available to optimize content filtering, port forwarding, traffic monitoring and can also be used to enable QoS (Quality of Service) for better connectivity experience.
- Netgear N300 wireless router offers a high level of efficiency in terms of data streaming and file sharing. Its default connection speed is 150Mbps but it can clock upto 300 Mbps of speed and if there is any lag in connectivity, one can simply restart the device and try connecting again.
- It can provide speeds of 5.36 Megabytes/second (MBps) transfer speeds. These speed are available both for close range (2m) and mid range (10m) and on the extreme side, it can perform at optimal speeds even at a distance of upto 30m but it is generally recommended to not place the router too far from the PC for better connectivity. For instance, if there are a number of wireless devices like cordless phones, TV, microwave or Bluetooth devices, or walls and other obstructions, it would impact the connection speeds adversely.
Filtering and Activity Monitoring:
- It is an ideal choice for parents not willing to let their kids access less than desirable content on the internet. It works through filtering features where particular content would be blocked on the basis of keywords, and whenever a flagged keyword is searched for, a notification would be sent to the user about attempt to access unauthorized content.
- Additionally, one can setup the router to send the user email logs of all inbound activity. This would be helpful in making sure if someone is trying to access the router by scanning internet ports.
- It allows the option of placing the PC in DMZ host and port forwarding is also relatively simple.
- It comes with a built-in firewall and gaming or video traffic can be placed at greater priority than web traffic for optimal gaming and video streaming experience. It can be done using QoS function.
Customer Help Number is a leading third-party technical support services provider that gives the best support to the people who use technical devices like printers, antivirus software programs, and routers. We give the services through the well trained, skilled, experienced technicians who are certified by the best and well-known technology companies.